Are you planning to decorate your house with Christmas lights? Christmas lights are important for most households when it comes to Christmas decoration. They look beautiful and colourful wherever they are placed and in whatever style they are used. The colourful lights add beauty to the occasion and double the joy.
However, decorative Christmas lights can be really expensive as they add a lot to the electricity bill. This is where solar-powered Christmas lights come in. They are getting increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency. They are now being used frequently for Christmas décor and if you are thinking to use them too, this post contains all the details you need to know.
How Do Solar Christmas Lights Work?
These lights collect energy from the sun and, thus, should be placed on the lawn during the day. Once they are charged, they are good to go wherever you place them.
There are strands of solar-powered Christmas lights available that can be used as decorative lightings. The photovoltaic solar panel attached to these lights generates electricity in the day and store it for use later. This solar panel is usually made up of nickel metal hydride (NiMH) or nickel cadmium (NiCd) and stores energy for use at night.
The lights used are LED lights which have many advantages over the normal incandescent or fluorescent light. In fact, LED lights are quickly replacing the traditional lights because of their energy efficiency and better light quality.
Things to Consider When Buying Solar-Powered Christmas Lights
Solar-powered Christmas lights are available in different types, and there are many companies which design them. When it comes to Christmas lighting, there is no such thing as too many lights because lights on this festive occasion add more beauty. However, there is a thing such as the right light. Thus, if you are thinking of buying these lights, you must consider these factors so that you can make the right purchase decision:
- Quality of the Solar Cell
The quality of the solar cell is the most important factor to consider as it determines the power output of a solar-powered light. Solar cells are made up of different coatings which can wear off over time. The expensive solar cells are made up of glass coating, which is more durable as compared to other materials. If there is any other coating, it will get yellowish in a short while and make it difficult for the panel to function. Glass coatings are also of different types and some are better than others.
- Area of the Solar Cell
The area of the solar cell also plays a huge role in the performance of a solar-powered Christmas light. The amount of power output generated is determined by the area of the solar cell. If you have a lot of shaded area in your lawn, you’ll need a larger solar panel so that it can be charged fully.
Plus, most solar-powered lights are equipped with batteries that need at least 8 hours or more to be charged completely. These days, manufacturers are combining various light components that increase the charging time. However, solar cells with more area will be able to decrease this charging time. After being charged, LED lights can run for around 6 to 8 hours.
- Type of Battery
Most solar-powered lights are equipped with batteries made up of nickel cadmium (NiCd) or nickel metal hydride (NiMH). NiCd batteries are quite reasonable and are more durable than other batteries. These batteries need to be replaced after every two years, which is a long lifespan if we talk about the solar-powered LED lights. They also have a good temperature range which makes them suitable for using outdoors.
Replacement batteries can cost you a lot, so you must try to get the right ones while buying the solar panel.
- Quality of LED Lights
Solar-powered Christmas lights feature LED lights, which are the most cost-efficient ones. They deliver bright light and are energy-efficient. However, you have to consider some factors before buying them. The size of an LED light should be considered, which should be in balance with the battery and solar panel. The battery should be able to store enough light energy to be used by the LED to perform well and produce light throughout the night.
There are different types of LED lights available on the market. High-quality solar-powered lights are equipped with efficient LED lights that deliver bright light with an excellent colour rendering index (CRI).
Also, make sure that the LED lights have a pleasing warm glow instead of emitting a glaring light with a bluish tone.
Top 12 Solar-Powered Christmas Lights
Solar-powered Christmas lights are eco-friendly and are proving to be an excellent alternative to the common Christmas lights which were used for years. Maintaining them is easy, and they can keep your house well-decorated for many days. With so many choices of solar-powered Christmas lights available on the market, we know that you’ll get confused if you have to choose from them. This is why we have compiled a list of the top 12 solar-powered Christmas lights along with their short reviews.These are 20 ft. or 6 m long LED lights that provide amazing lighting. When they are fully charged, they produce amazing lighting for long hours. These lights can illuminate a vast area very efficiently and are quite durable and beautiful. The lights are waterproof and, thus, perfect for all weather conditions.
- The lights produce a fairy effect and look very beautiful when used outdoors.
- They take around 12 hours to charge fully and can run for 8 to 10 hours.
- They are made up of plastic and are very easy to operate.
- There are two lighting modes which can help you choose between steady and flashing options. There is a switch for turning them on and off.
- The lights are waterproof and offer an automatic operation. Thus, there is no need for manual operation as they can turn on and off on their own.
- There are 30 LEDs included along with a solar power panel that stands with a 20 cm garden spike.
- They are very environment-friendly.
- They can be used for decorating a variety of areas such as doors, windows, floor, lawns, patios, and ceilings.
- They look very beautiful on festive occasions.
- There are two modes.
- They have a long lifespan.
- They are fragile and can be easily broken.
- There are some reports of the lights not working.
Bright red LED lights look very beautiful, especially when it’s Christmas. These lights are unique and vibrant and are mostly arranged in a bunch. They bring energy and life to their surroundings and can be used as excellent decorative lights for Christmas. They are among the best Christmas lights because of their unique style and colour.
- The lights are available with a solar panel and garden stakes to stand which is quite easy to mount.
- The lights are IP65 waterproof and can be placed outdoors, regardless of the weather. They can easily withstand harsh weather conditions such as rain or snow without being affected.
- There is a total of 200 LED lights in the bundle. The light strand is 72 ft. long with a 6.5 ft. lead cable included.
- There are two lighting modes which allow you to choose between flash or steady options. There are basic power switches which allow the user to turn them on or off.
- The lights use a lighting sensor technology and can switch on and off themselves. The lights do not need to be plugged in and feature a low power voltage.
- There are built-in 1800 mAh NiMH batteries that allow the lights to illuminate a small to medium area easily. The batteries are powerful enough to keep the light illuminated for around 8 hours.
- They are very energy efficient.
- They are waterproof.
- The charging time is low.
- The battery is rechargeable.
- The lights are not durable.
- The on/off switch is flimsy and doesn’t work properly.
Icicle Waterproof Solar String Lights offer a colourful way to illuminate an indoor or outdoor area. These lights are vibrant and lively and create a beautiful atmosphere, especially when there is a festive occasion going on. They are very safe, durable and affordable. These lights can also prove to be a perfect Christmas present for your friends and family.
- The lights are made of a hard and sturdy plastic, which is reusable and eco-friendly. The material is very cost effective and is safe to use.
- It is waterproof and works on low voltage. This is very helpful especially if you have children around.
- The lights can charge easily even when the day is shady or cloudy. This is because of the efficient solar panel that helps the battery charge easily during the day.
- The auto sensor of the Icicle Solar String Lights allows them to turn on at night automatically and turn off during the day. The charging process starts as soon as the day begins.
- They are very easy to install, and you can do the task yourself too. No technician or professional is needed to install them as they are easy to handle.
- There are two modes of operation steady and flash.
- After being fully charged, the lights can illuminate the area for up to 8 hours.
- They are multi-purpose solar-powered lights.
- They are eye-catching and durable.
- They are waterproof and safe to use.
- They are durable.
- They are a bit dull.
- They are very small.
The Qedertek LED Fairy Solar String Lights are designed to withstand different types of weathers and deliver excellent value for money. There are 200 multi-colour lights which create a mind-blowing effect when used in lawns, gardens, tree branches, fences, and roofs. The lights are very easy to use and maintain overall.
- The LED lights can glow for up to 8 hours after being fully charged. The charging time is around 6 to 8 hours. The lights are equipped with 1800 mAh NiMH batteries.
- It is IP65 waterproof and is good for decorating outdoors. It can withstand harsh weathers too such as snow and heavy rain.
- The whole strand is 72 ft. in length and is very eco-friendly. You can use it for decoration at various events.
- The lights are very easy to set up as they are equipped with an adjustable solar panel. There is no wiring needed to set up the lights.
- There are two modes of function: steady and flash.
- The Qedertek LED lights offer high efficiency; you don’t even need to connect the power supply.
- They are very colourful and bright.
- They have a long lifespan.
- They are very easy to use.
- No wiring is required.
- There are some reports of water being accumulated in the battery compartment.
Binval Solar Christmas String Lights are very versatile and can be used not only for Christmas lighting but also for decorating your home for various purposes. These lights are very versatile and bright and are available in two packs of 30 LEDs each. These lights are not colourful; they are casual and perfect for lighting or decorating.
- The Binval Solar Christmas String Lights are waterproof and are suitable for the outdoors. You can place them anywhere in your garden or lawn to add beauty.
- The solar panel offers 2V 100 MA and is efficient enough to store light energy to be used by the lights later as electric energy.
- There are buttons for controlling the light, and there are 8 working modes.
- The lifespan of Binval solar lights is more than 10,000 hours, and they can work for around 8 to 10 hours after being fully charged.
- The solar panel should be under the sun during the day and shouldn’t be placed in a shady area.
- The lights start working automatically when the night starts.
- They deliver beautiful, soft lighting.
- They are great for decorating purposes.
- They are easy to use.
- They are affordable.
- They are cheaply made.
easyDecor Lights are quite famous and are purchased by many in the Christmas season. This is because they are very colourful and bright and add an amazing ambience to the whole atmosphere. These lights have different modes so that you can enjoy different lighting combinations.
- The lights are self-charging and should be placed in sunlight so that they can store light energy to be used at night.
- They are made up of plastic and are very easy to use and install. There is a stake available so that you can stick it to the ground.
- No battery replacement is required and there is no electricity cost either.
- The lights are very environment-friendly.
- The upgraded solar panel allows efficient absorption of light and offers less charging time.
- There are 8 modes that allow you to select various options of lighting. You need to press the mode button to select a particular mode, which will continue to be used until you change it.
- It takes 5 hours to charge and can work for 8 hours.
- They are available in a beautiful flower design.
- They are bright and colourful.
- They are made up of durable and flexible plastic.
- They stay bright for a long time.
- They have a strong odour.
- They don’t have a long lifespan.
Dephen Solar Lights are globe lights that use amazing waterproof technology, which makes them a good choice for both indoors and outdoors. These lights feature an adjustable solar panel that allows efficient and quick absorption of sunlight.
- Dephen Solar String Lights are very eco-friendly and are easy to operate too. They also offer a high energy conversion rate.
- They offer a long working period, that is, around 8 to 10 hours of continuous illumination after being charged in the sunlight for 6 to 8 hours.
- The solar panel is adjustable and can absorb sunlight efficiently.
- The lights are very easy to install and operate. They are waterproof and suitable for outdoor decoration during Christmas.
- The Dephen Solar Lights are available in multiple colours and are in the form of fairy globe lights.
- Their lifespan is up to 50,000 hours which is very impressive.
- There are 20 LEDs, and each one of them is super bright one.
- They are very long lasting.
- They are bright and beautiful.
- They are waterproof.
- They look pretty, even in daylight.
- They are easy to operate.
- The length of the string is not too long.
The Inngree Snowflake Solar String Lights are multi-coloured bright lights with an amazing design. They are perfectly suited for Christmas because they have a snowflake design. The LED lights are available in large quantities and add an amazing feel to the whole atmosphere, especially when it is a special occasion.
- The LED lights are tested for different weather conditions and are made waterproof to withstand rainy and snowy conditions.
- They are very easy to install and are eco-friendly too. There is no effort required for installation.
- There are two modes available which can be changed through a switch. The modes are flash or no flash. Another switch is for power on/off.
- The traditional snowflake design on the LED lights are 30 in number and are arranged in a 20 ft. long string.
- There is an added sunscreen to protect the lights from wearing off before time. Also, they create a perfect and colourful atmosphere on any occasion.
- They are easy to install.
- They can create illumination for long periods.
- The design is unique.
- They are waterproof and eco-friendly.
- They are too small.
Lalapao Outdoor String Lights are high quality and are available in multiple colours. They look gorgeous when installed outdoors as they are larger in size as compared to other solar-powered string lights.
- The Lalapao LED lights are present in the form of tubes, and there is a total of 10 tubes. Each tube contains 36 LED lights, so there is a total of 360 lights.
- The lights are IP65 waterproof and can be used anywhere. The lights can be used indoors too, but they look magnificent outdoors.
- These are high-efficiency lights and can work for around 8 to 10 hours after being fully charged. They automatically charge during the day, so there’s no hassle of charging.
- They behave like a meteor shower and create a mesmerizing effect. The lights turn on and off in series to create this effect.
- There is a solar panel available along with a stake so that it is easier to install. Just take out the plastic from the solar panel before using.
- The meteor show looks mesmerizing.
- The lights are easy to install.
- The solar panel is big enough.
- The lights are expensive.
The Vmanoo Christmas Solar Lights are eco-friendly and cost-efficient and are available in unique colours. The lights are quite bright and colourful but are not annoying to the eyes. These lights are efficient and durable as well.
- The lights are very easy to use and there is a power switch which allows you to switch on the light. We recommend keeping the switch on so that it charges automatically.
- It is water resistant and, thus, is good as both an indoor and outdoor lighting decoration.
- It can be used for a variety of decorative purposes such as buildings, lawns, gardens, halls, patios, restaurants, doors, and windows.
- The Vmanoo lights have 8 functioning modes which allow you to achieve a combination of the slow fade, chasing or flash, twinkle, steady on, slo-go, waves, and sequential.
- They have high-efficiency solar cells which allow easy and rapid absorption of sunlight.
- There are 8 light modes to use.
- The lights are flexible and easy to use.
- They offer long working hours.
- They save energy and are eco-friendly.
- The length of the string is not as long as most people would have liked.
The SOCO Solar Globe String Lights are versatile and can be used for multiple purposes. The lights are durable, beautiful and efficient at illuminating a small to medium area. They are safe to use and are IP65 waterproof.
- Though these lights have a simple design, they are versatile and can be used for lighting various occasions.
- They use a built-in sensor technology that detects the sunlight and starts charging themselves. You just have to place them in sunlight.
- There is no wiring required to install them and the overall process is very easy. You can easily set the lights up on walls, doors, fences, ceiling, or trees.
- There are 8 different working modes which can be chosen with the touch of a button. The mode button will change the mode of illumination.
- The Solar Globe String Lights are equipped with 1.2V 600 mAh batteries that allow them to illuminate the area for around 8 to 10 hours at night.
- The lights are easy to install.
- They have 8 different modes of illumination.
- They have a long lifespan.
- There are some reports of the lights being defective.
As the name suggests, these lights are designed like pineapples and look charming when decorated indoors or outdoors. They look cute when a certain theme is followed such as on Christmas when there are colours and happiness everywhere. They can illuminate the area for more than 8 hours easily if they have been fully charged during the day.
The lights look amazing on special occasions because of their attractive design. Though they are large, they aren’t very heavy and are portable too. They are safe to use and are very environment-friendly too. There are two light modes and two switch buttons that allow you to keep the light switched on or off or change the modes.
- The lights are solar powered and are equipped with a solar panel that can absorb sunlight and allow them to illuminate up to 8 hours at night.
- There are two light modes and two switch buttons that allow you to choose the mode according to your requirements.
- There are 20 LEDs in one pack and there is a pointed stake that helps install the solar panel.
- The lights are very portable and if decorated in the backyard or lawn, they produce a soothing, warm white light that adds to the atmosphere.
- The lights are high quality and are available with a stake and pole for easy installation.
- They are available with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- They are very beautifully designed.
- They offer good quality.
- They are very sturdy.
- They are not very bright.
Solar-powered Christmas lights have proven to be a cost-efficient and easy way to decorate your home in this festive season. These lights add beauty and ambience to the indoor and outdoor atmosphere and bring joy to people. We have reviewed the top 12 solar-powered Christmas lights in this post, all of which are loaded with amazing features. However, the GDEALER Outdoor Solar String Lights and Qedertek LED Solar Christmas Lights were our top two choices because of their durability, design, illumination, and brightness.